TOP FIVE BOOK TO FILM ADAPTATIONS

Following the release of To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before (which is utterly phenomenal and you should drop everything and watch it now if you haven’t already (if you have, watch it again)), I felt inspired to list some of my favourite film adaptations of some of my favourite (and, strangely, some of my least favourite) books.

Let’s get to it, shall we?

GONE GIRL

Controversial opinion, but I thought it was a BRILLIANT book, and the adaption could not have been better – it is a little long, but there is very little information not brought from book to film, and it’s so gripping that I don’t find myself losing focus. Rosamund Pike is PHENOMENAL as Amy; her performance definitely didn’t get the recognition it deserved.

Flynn’s novel (and film) contains the ultimate twist, and characters that you will despise, and so I highly recommend if you are a fan of crime/thriller, or anything that will grip you, and keep you on your toes. It has a very controversial ending, so do let me know what you think. I think it’s VERY fitting for the characters but a lot (and I mean a lot) of people disagree.

SENSE AND SENSIBILITY

sense and sensibility film

I talk about both Austen’s book, and Emma Thompson’s adaption a lot, I know, but it is UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE. I was definitely not a sucker for a period drama (in fact, I kind of hated them) until this film, and now I want them all. It is as dramatic as a film as it is as a book (largely thanks to Marianne), and you could not ask for a better cast to take on these characters. Emma Thompson is stupidly elegant as Eleanor, and my GOD does Kate Winslet know how to dramatically sob. Also, give me Hugh Grant, Alan Rickman and Greg Wise as Edward, Colonel Brandon and Willoughby any day of the week. I am so doe-eyed when it comes to this adaption – even if you haven’t read Sense and Sensibility, but love period dramas, you should watch it.

You can find me babbling more about Sense and Sensibility in my Top Ten Books of 2018!

HARRY POTTER

harry potter film

We all know that these are a wonderful watch. I didn’t read the series until I was eighteen, so I think, in part, I often compare film to book, rather than book to film. However, I do know now that there are lots of subplots, and scenes that didn’t make it in that I would LOVE to have seen. Neville is far less comical, and far more interesting in the novels, and I do wish his storyline hadn’t been altered quite so much – but I understand time constraints, and the need for comic effect. Aside from this, I do think that they made the best of the time that they had, picking 99% of the crucial elements, and a cast that captured the characters wonderfully.

MAZE RUNNER

maze runner film

I LOATHED the novels (well, I loathed the first instalment, as I couldn’t bring myself to read the others). I thought the story itself was phenomenal (I think this might be my word of the day), but I couldn’t get past the ludicrously terrible writing. It was as though a team of five-year-olds with a limited grasp of the English language, but fantastic imaginations, had collaborated on a series.

HOWEVER, given that I thought the story was brilliant, I thought I’d give the film a chance and NOW I LOVE THIS FRANCHISE. James Dashner, though not so wonderful an author, is a supremely talented scriptwriter, and the cast could not have been better. All 3 are as intense as action can get, and will leave you covered in sweat, and with a pounding heart (particularly The Death Cure, which might have been the most gripping cinema experience of my life). As a romance over action kind of film fan, I’m SO GLAD I decided to give these a go.

MATILDA

Need I say anything at all? Matilda was my most loved childhood book, and my most cherished childhood film. I’ve seen it an innumerable amount of times, and EVERY SINGLE TIME my heart grows a little bigger. It is the most heart-warming adaption on the list, with a great cast, and the perfect blend of comedy and warmth. I haven’t read the book in a long time, but talking about it is really making me want to revisit it.

That’s my top five book to film adaptions!

Let me know your favourites in the comments!

Thank you for reading!

1. August 20, 2018 / 8:09 pm

This is so interesting for me, I’m the worst for watching movies and not reading the books so I might have to start reading these books as I love the movies!! Xx

August 20, 2018 / 8:15 pm

I try to read before watching, but sometimes I just want to join in on the movie hype, or I don’t have time! But would definitely recommend reading all of these. They’re all as good as (if not better) than the movies. 😊

2. August 20, 2018 / 8:25 pm

Sense and Sensibility is my favourite Austen novel, I can’t believe I’ve never gotten round to watching the movie version! Thanks for the reminder 🙂

August 20, 2018 / 8:29 pm

You HAVE to watch it if you get the chance! It’s SO good (and on Netflix)! 💛

3. August 20, 2018 / 8:34 pm

I loved Gone Girl as a book so much, I think the writing is insanely good. Have you read her other books? I can’t remember the titles now but I loved them just as much! xx
    Alys

August 20, 2018 / 8:40 pm

It really is! It’s incredibly intense throughout the entire book! I think so. I’ve definitely read one that I really enjoyed – I think it was Sharp Objects! 😊

4. August 20, 2018 / 8:43 pm

I have to buy that Harry Potter collection that you have! 💙

August 20, 2018 / 8:53 pm

It’s my pride and joy! 😂

5. August 20, 2018 / 8:51 pm

I COULDNT AGREE MORE ABOUT SENSE AND SENSIBILITY!!! Pride & Prejudice got me into period dramas and I now cannot stop, I ADORE this adaptation. Hugh Grant and Emma Thompson are my loves & Kate Winslet can’t mess up anything ever. It’s so good. If you’re in the market for a good period drama, may I suggest the BBC edition of Emma (on Netflix) and also the BBC edition of Pride & Prejudice (if you haven’t seen it, which is mad) also on Netflix and starring a very dreamy Colin Firth! Sorry, think I went a bit mad there on the love😂😂

Amazing post x

Sophie | http://www.lovesoph.co.uk

August 20, 2018 / 8:55 pm

I appreciate the madness! It’s SO GOOD isn’t it? I felt like I was falling in love every five minutes! I want to wait until I read Pride and Prejudice before I watch the adaptation with Colin Firth, but I don’t know when I’ll get to Emma, so I might give that a watch. My cousin gave a really bad review (of the book) that put me off, so maybe the film will convince me to give it a shot. Thank you for the recs! 😊

6. August 20, 2018 / 9:23 pm

OMG I hated The Maze Runner movies… I got to the second one and I stop myself from further disappointment haha but the book are not phenomenal… So not reading the books but watching the movies as “a movie alone not based on a book”, I think I get why you liked them haha.

Gone girl both the book and the movie were so good!!! Incredible good adaptation!! I think the why I read the ending of the book made more sense than the one on the movie but that is just me I think haha so no, at least for me, it is not a controversial point of view haha.

August 20, 2018 / 9:42 pm

My friend is almost in the same boat! She does like the films, but she was still really unhappy with the way the books were adapted – she said there was lots of good plot points missed out, and a lot of stuff was completely different, so it’s intriguing to know you think that! Haha, glad to know I’m not the only one. 😊

7. August 20, 2018 / 10:14 pm

OMG YES, love Matilda!! It’s such a lovely movie and book! My favourite book to movie adaptation is The Perks of Being a Wallflower, being directed by the author himself it is pretty much perfect!

August 20, 2018 / 10:28 pm

I very nearly made it a top six so that I could put Perks on the list! I thought the film was such a beautiful adaptation! And it introduced me to Ezra Miller, so I really couldn’t have asked for anything more. 😂

8. August 21, 2018 / 2:07 am

Definitely Matilda! Also Willy Wonka/Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Roald Dahl books make great movies!

August 21, 2018 / 9:07 am

I completely agree! I completely forgot about Charlie! Now you’re making me want to do a follow up post, purely devoted to Roald Dahl film adaptions. 😂

9. August 21, 2018 / 8:06 am

Love all of the books and movies from your list. I do agree that from time to time book to movie adaptation is very good. I have to add the Lord of the rings and Hobbit movie adaptation to this list because those movies, for me at least, were insanely good. They did justice to the book’s.

August 21, 2018 / 9:10 am

My mum would certainly agree with you! Sadly, I’m not the biggest fan. I find the books impenetrable, and I find my mind wandering whenever I try to watch the films. I’m definitely going to try to commit to them one day!

10. August 21, 2018 / 9:38 am

I love a good period drama! Give me long frocks and romance any day of the week. Having said that, I love the movie adaptations of the maze runner series too, although it stresses me out so much (even though I KNOW what happens because I’ve read all the books). I’m in the middle of reading Gone Girl right now, so I’m excited to check out the movie adaptation when I finish!

Cordelia || cordeliamoor.com

August 21, 2018 / 12:17 pm

Isn’t it so stressful? I’ve seen the films multiple times and I STILL can’t handle how stressed I get. Ah, I hope you enjoy it. 😊

11. August 21, 2018 / 12:59 pm

I’ve been meaning to watch Sense and Sensibility for a while after recently finishing the book (and all the Austens!!) Thankfully this post reminded me to

August 21, 2018 / 1:40 pm

Yay! I hope you enjoy it!

12. August 21, 2018 / 2:34 pm

Gone Girl is one of my favourite movies, if at any time anyone asks ‘what are some good movies?’ I’m like ‘Gooone Girrrl’. I haven’t read the book no. I’ve always wanted to read sense and sensibility and this have given me a push to.
    Thanks for sharing!

August 21, 2018 / 3:50 pm

It’s SO GOOD, isn’t it? So glad you enjoyed it too. Would definitely recommend reading the book if you loved the film! Sense and Sensibility’s great too – really hope you enjoy it. 😊

13. Jenna
    August 21, 2018 / 3:35 pm

I love this post! 🙂 Such a cute idea! I love Matilda; I really want to see the Broadway musical version to see how it compares 🙂 Thanks for sharing!
    -Jenna <3
    Follow me back? The Chic Cupcake

August 21, 2018 / 3:51 pm

Thank you! ME TOO! I’ve heard such good things about it too. Followed. 😊

14. August 21, 2018 / 3:48 pm

Love the idea for this post! I’ve still not yet Gone Girl and it’s stressing me out!! x

August 21, 2018 / 3:52 pm

Thank you! Would definitely recommend if you find the time! It’s so good. 😊

15. August 21, 2018 / 7:05 pm

I’ve been meaning to read Gone Girl for so long, but always held off because of some of the comments made about the film, but (if I remember correctly) it’s one you recommended to me, along with One of Us is Lying, which turned out to be a pretty good book and had me hooked from the beginning, so I think I’m definitely going to have to give Gone Girl a read and then watch the film, especially since I’m on such a mystery/thriller kick at the moment.

I’m also really glad Harry Potter was on this list – my all time favourite movies. And Matlida, absolutely love that film.

Great post!

August 21, 2018 / 7:46 pm

Gone Girl was the other one! I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed my recommendation! Gone Girl is a lot more intense than One of Us is Lying but it’s SO GOOD. It’s the ultimate thriller, in my opinion. Hope you enjoy it. Couldn’t have made the list without including Harry and Matilda! Thank you so much. 😊

16. August 21, 2018 / 7:32 pm

I don’t think I’ll ever finish the Maze Runner series. I just couldn’t get into the first book and I really have no desire to continue. However, I do think that the films are really well produced.

August 21, 2018 / 7:47 pm

I completely agree with you! The first book was almost impenetrable, but the films are so well made.

17. August 22, 2018 / 10:05 am

Gone Girl was the best!

18. August 22, 2018 / 12:17 pm

Gone Girl was amazing! I was actually quite surprised I enjoyed it (both in book and film format) as I am a huge wimp and usually can’t handle anything even remotely psychological or thriller-esque. I can sense that I am going to have watch Sense and Sensibility soon – I loved Pride and Prejudice.

Also, I was tagged to do the 3 days, 3 quotes tag and now I’m passing it on. If it sounds like something you’d enjoy doing: consider yourself tagged. I had so much fun finding the quotes 🙂 Here’s the link to my post with some more information – https://booksinteralia.com/2018/08/21/3-days-3-quotes-tag-day-1/

August 22, 2018 / 7:51 pm

I’m in exactly the same boat – I didn’t think I was going to enjoy it at all, and ended up LOVING it. Sense and Sensibility is worth the watch – it’s very lovely! Ah, thanks for the link. Will definitely check it out. 💛

19. August 22, 2018 / 5:42 pm

YESSS two of my favs: Sense & Sensibility & Harry Potter! I personally love period dramas, and as Jane Austen is one of my fav authors, I also loved the adaptation of Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley.

August 22, 2018 / 7:52 pm

I really need to read Pride and Prejudice ASAP and getting watching these adaptations! They all sound great. 😊

20. August 22, 2018 / 10:22 pm

The Lord of the Rings would have made my list, I thought Peter Jackson and co. did a great job of condensing and adapting the novels into 3 great films while remaining so faithful to t he source material. Great list though!

August 22, 2018 / 10:24 pm

Ashamed to see I haven’t managed to watch them (or read them) yet! I think I watched the first Percy Jackson, but it was a good while ago now. Thank you! 😊

21. August 26, 2018 / 10:39 pm

Agree (of course) with HP and Matilda – I love love LOVE Matilda!

I’ve never read Gone Girl and I’m not sure if I watched to the end of the film… I feel like I would remember if I had! I think the big twist is so talked about now that I’ve just lost all interest, which is a shame because I have heard good things.

August 27, 2018 / 3:09 pm

Spoilers suck! It completely ruins the impact of the moment. Sorry that you’ve lost interest – it is really good, if you ever feel like giving it a second chance. 😊