A TOUR OF MY BOOK STACKS

book stacks

Welcome to the highly requested tour of my book stacks!

I’ve received a lot of lovely compliments on Twitter (thank you) when posting photos of these, and so I thought I would take you on an in depth, photographic tour. There is a lot to get through, so I’ll dive right in.

Just a heads up: as I’m an Amazon affiliate, if you purchase through any of these links, I will earn a small commission. This doesn’t effect my opinions in any way.

HARDBACKS

book stacks

These are my lovely hardbacks – all stacked together in alphabetical order (by author’s second name).

If I’m honest, I prefer paperback. Unless it’s a special edition – my copy of Dracula, for instance (third from the top) – a new release, or a gift, I’ll more than likely reach for paperback. The majority of these come under the category of newly released, as I’m FAR too impatient to wait for paperback release. As there are quite a few, I thought I’d run you through some of my favourites:

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black – somehow, this manages to find its way into every book related post of mine. You only need to spend a few minutes browsing through my blog to figure out how much I adore this book.

The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli (author of Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda) – Simon received a lot of praise for obvious reasons, but TUOP (I feel) hasn’t received the love that it deserves. It is a lovely read that I relate to on far too many levles. Though that may be because the protagonist has a ridiculous amount of crushes, and adores cats and Lin-Manuel Miranda.

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders – a blend of fact and fiction, that tackles Abraham Lincoln’s movements on the night of (and days following) his son’s death, and the fictional movements of his son and the characters that he meets in purgatory. A must read for any Lincoln-fan-come-book-lover (me).

MY READ PILES

book stacks

Excuse the shadow (a combination of terrible lighting and terrible photography) but the first four paperback piles, starting from the left and working inwards, I have read. As with the hardbacks, all are in alphabetical order, by author’s second name.

There is a mix of university and non-academic reading, but, as you can clearly see, it’s predominantly YA. After falling out of love with YA in my mid-teens, I started to reintroduce it into my reading last year and fell madly in love with it once more. The vast majority of those you can see were read last summer.

I have all of Sara Barnard’s work, and a few Holly Bourne – both nestled in the corner, and both of whom I discovered last year. I have my very well read A Court of Thorns and Roses series, and a couple of Emery Lord novels (a HIGHLY underrated YA novelist, who writes beautiful stories of faith and family) – again, discoveries of last summer. There are so many more authors that and novels that I’d love to pick out, particularly university related books, but I think I’ll talk more on that in another post! But, as with my hardbacks, I thought I’d pick a few favourites.

J.D. SALINGER

book stacks

Salinger (though a bit of a creep) is one of my favourite authors – as you can see by my well read copies of The Catcher in the Rye (one of my favourite novels), and For Esme with Love and Squalor (also referred to as Nine Stories). I have read Catcher three or four times, and find more to comb over on every read – it will never cease to hold a very special place in my heart. And For Esme with Love and Squalor holds possibly my favourite piece of writing in existence – a short story called Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut – that is nuanced, and frightening, and raw, and upsetting and utterly beautiful. I would highly recommend picking this up if you like collections of short stories.

ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES

book stacks

Is that two copies of All the Bright Places? You bet your ass that’s two copies of All the Bright Places. There is a reason for this. Partly, it is because this is one of my favourite (and my most read) novels, and Theodore Finch is my favourite character in all of literature. But it’s largely because I wanted to read it at home, and my actual copy was in my old flat in Edinburgh. I couldn’t wait, so I just bought another. I have that little impulse control.

ATBP is a beautiful, and important read, with character arcs that out-character-arc all other novels, and a journey that will both break and mend you. If it is sitting on your TBR, I really encourage you (more than I would with any other novel (even *gasp* The Cruel Prince)) to bring it down. Jennifer Niven sauntered into my heart, and completely stole it with this. She changed the way that I write fiction (in a wonderful way) and I will be forever grateful.

I can’t wait to see the incredible Justice Finch and Elle Fanning bring my favourite characters to life.

MY TBR PILES

book stacks

My eternal shame: my to be read piles. I don’t have a clue how I ended up here. If you put these together, I know that these would be taller than me! It isn’t that I don’t want to read any of these – I just always have something else on the go. There are so many that I’m utterly desperate to read, but I thought I’d list just a few (otherwise we’d be here all day):

How to Stop Time, Matt Haig.
Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About RaceRemi Eddo-Lodge
Adventures in the Screen TradeWilliam Goldman
Children of Blood and Bone, Tomi Adeyemi
The Crow RoadIain Banks

Why did I start listing? I’ll be listing the whole pile at this rate.

Please let me know what you’ve read, and what you think is really worth prioritising (Children of Blood and Bone is probably top of my list at the moment). In fact I might move it to the slightly smaller TBR on my bedside cabinet.

AND THAT’S A WRAP

I still have a lot of other novels littered around my room, but these are mostly series and collections! If you’d be interested to know more about those, I have a tour of them that you can find HERE. I also have other TBR piles on my bedside cabinets. One you can’t see contains some for an Contemporary American module I am doing next semester, along with a few YA reads. And the other you can see next to my hardbacks, contains all of my reads for #Classicsathon – you can read more about that HERE.

I’m incredibly lucky that I’ve been able to buy or be gifted so many wonderful books. It feels surreal to look at all of them and know that they are mine. I’m always hoping they will take pride of place in the library that I will have in my future home (thank you Belle and Beast, for my utterly unrealistic depictions of what a house should look like).

I really hope you enjoyed this post, and that any and all nosey bookworms feel very satisfied.

I know I absolutely adore these kind of posts, so I can only hope that you did too.

Thank you for reading!

(It’s me procrastinating from reading everything on my TBR)!

August 12, 2018 / 9:48 pm

It’s taken 21 years and all of my money, but I’m pretty proud of my collection! 😂

August 12, 2018 / 9:49 pm

Thank you! There’s definitely a lot of great ones in there! 😊

1. August 12, 2018 / 10:04 am

I recently bought All the Bright Places – I found it in a charity bookshop for £2 so I’m really excited to pick it up soon!

August 12, 2018 / 9:50 pm

THAT’S SO EXCITING! I hope you love it! It’s my favourite book, and I cherish it with all of my heart, so it really makes me happy when I hear people getting ready to read it. 😊

2. August 12, 2018 / 10:39 am

There are so many books and authors here that I’ve never heard of. Since joining the book blogging community my mind is continually blown by just how many books are out there. In the short couple of months I’ve been doing this I’ve been introduced to authors I may never have otherwise discovered, and as well as receiving ARCs to review, I’m spending a flipping fortune on books I read about and just have to have. I am fairly sure my TBR piles will look like yours very soon!

August 12, 2018 / 9:53 pm

It’s very overwhelming! There will always be so many books, and SO little time! It’s where all of my money goes, but I just can’t stop myself. There’s always more to find and buy! I feel like all bloggers that talk about books have to have TBRs taller than us. It’s a requirement! 😂

3. August 12, 2018 / 10:59 am

If you haven’t read the Spinster Club series yet by Holly Bourne I strongly recommend that, it’s amazing! I’ve wanted to read some Patrick Ness for years but I’ve never got round to it! I thought my shelf and a half of TBR was bad until I saw how many you have but then again I have about 100 on my Kindle to read too!

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

August 12, 2018 / 9:55 pm

I’ve read one out of three, and LOVED it, so can’t wait to get round to the others. He’s fantastic! I highly recommend if you find the time – the vast majority of his books are super quick reads. It’s getting very out of control. Good luck with getting through yours! 😊

4. August 12, 2018 / 11:26 am

You seem to love The Cruel Prince so much, that I ended up buying the book yesterday (and there’s no paperback yet)! So, no self control on my part, as my TBR is totally out of control as well 🤷🏻‍♀️

August 12, 2018 / 10:03 pm

YES! That makes me SO HAPPY! I really hope you like it (though I’m sure that you will)! Glad I’m not alone in this TBR journey. 😊

5. August 12, 2018 / 12:59 pm

I really loved this post! I normally tend to skim longer blog posts but never yours, you genuinely seem excited and interested in whatever you’re writing and the writing is so conversational and easy to read! (Plus your book stacks are so lovely!)

August 12, 2018 / 10:04 pm

This is the kindest comment! It means so much to me that you think that. Thank you so much! 💛

August 12, 2018 / 10:05 pm

Oh gosh, ME TOO! We will be crying messes together! 😂

6. August 12, 2018 / 9:44 pm

Never read books but will defo give these a go!

7. August 12, 2018 / 9:52 pm

I have serious book envy now! Don’t keep any of my read books but am tempted to start just to make lovely ordered piles!

August 12, 2018 / 10:09 pm

I like being able to look over and admire all of the books I’ve read! I just can’t bring myself to part with them, unless they’re going to friends and family. 😊

8. August 13, 2018 / 2:01 am

As soon as I read “book stacks”, I knew this post would be right up my alley! I live in a TINY unit that is overwhelmed with books. They are stacks and stacks of them on my shelves in my cupboard, inside two ottomans, and in multiple boxes that are away because there’s just no room to have them on display! My partner is not a reader at ALL, but he really wants me to have a big library someday when we get our own house, so he encourages me to buy + hang onto all the books I want ☺️ I also loved All The Bright Places, and am interested to see the movie as it has Elle Fanning and I love her!

9. August 14, 2018 / 2:49 pm

Wow! You could build a house with those stacks haha 😀

August 14, 2018 / 3:03 pm

I know – it’s crazy. I don’t think it could handle the rain very well though! 😂

10. August 15, 2018 / 6:11 pm

I cannot begin to describe my jealousy at ALL of these books!! Are you interested in getting a bookcase for these? I have 4 stacks of books in my room & I have been trying to find the perfect bookcase for ages x

August 15, 2018 / 7:03 pm

I’m not sure! I think, while they’re at my mum’s house, I’ll leave them in stacks. But when I have my own place, I think I’d like to get some nice bookshelves for them. They’ve got to be perfect though, I agree! 💛

11. August 18, 2018 / 11:28 am

Love this post.

My TBR pile is most of my bookshelf! I buy books faster than I can read them and so my TBR pile keeps getting bigger whilst my Read pile does not 🙈 I’m on a mission to change this though. ☺️

Steph | http://www.stephloves.co.uk

August 18, 2018 / 4:43 pm

Thank you! I know EXACTLY how you feel. It’s so intimidating, but I just can’t stop buying books. Definitely planning to join you on that mission! Good luck. 😊

12. August 18, 2018 / 2:26 pm

I’m so jealous of your book stacks, they’re so great and I wish I had that many books!! The Catcher in the Rye and All the Bright Places have been on my tbr for sooo long, but I’ll definitely read them soon, they seem like great books!

August 18, 2018 / 4:49 pm

They are brilliant! I really hope you enjoy them when you get around to them. Thank you for reading. 😊

13. August 27, 2018 / 2:57 pm

How have you made this so pretty and organised without a shelf? I’m so jealous ❤️❤️

August 27, 2018 / 3:12 pm

It didn’t take too long! The only time consuming bit is putting them into alphabetical order in the first place, but that can actually be quite fun! 😂

14. August 28, 2018 / 9:18 pm

lovely post, youve inspired me to finally finish editing one of mine similar to this!!

August 29, 2018 / 8:32 pm

Yay! I’m excited to read it!

15. August 29, 2018 / 7:48 am

Wow, that’s a lot of books! I hope one day I can collect as many as you have. Would be so cool to have a personal library in my house.

August 29, 2018 / 8:33 pm