THE MID-YEAR (SORT OF) BOOK FREAK OUT TAG

Inspired by the wonderful Steph, at Nourish Me, I thought today I would do The Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag. Even though it’s August, and so I’m a little late, I absolutely love the questions, and am desperate to talk about what I’ve been reading this year. So, without wanting to ramble too much, here are my answers.

Just a heads up: as I’m an Amazon affiliate, if you purchase through any of these links, I will earn a small commission. This doesn’t effect my reviews in any way.

BEST BOOK YOU’VE READ SO FAR IN 2018?

Undoubtedly The Cruel Prince, by Holly Black. I talk about it in my Top Ten Books of 2018, and you can find a full review here, but MY GOD. I fell madly in love with this book at the very beginning of 2018, and have not stopped talking about it since. It’s full of complex characters that you will ADORE, a plot laden with twists, and a world you will fall madly in love with.

BEST SEQUEL YOU’VE READ SO FAR IN 2018?

The Ask and the Answer, by Patrick Ness. It’s the only sequel that I’ve read this year, but it’s WONDERFUL. It is paced beautifully, often desperately sad, and has a cast of characters that you will become VERY invested in. Ness writes startlingly brave, and complex, children, and I could not be more in love with this sequel.

NEW RELEASE YOU HAVEN’T READ, BUT WANT TO?

Tomi Adeyemi’s Children of Blood and Bone – it may not count as new, but it’s a 2018 release that I desperately want to read.

MOST ANTICIPATED RELEASE FOR THE SECOND HALF OF THE YEAR?

Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?, Holly Bourne.
What If It’s Us, Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera.
An Absolutely Remarkable Thing, Hank Green.

Four authors that have written novels (or, in Hank’s case, created content) that are very close to my heart. I can’t wait to have all of these in my hands. Isn’t Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes? the greatest title that you have EVER heard.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT?

Philip Pullman’s La Belle Sauvage ­– prequel to His Dark Materials, and the first instalment of The Book of Dust. You can read my full review here, but it just didn’t live up to my expectations. However, it was wonderful to be back inside a world so beautiful, and familiar.

BIGGEST SURPRISE?

Alice Oseman’s I Was Born For This – picked up in a moment of boredom, and finished in less than a day. I had a feeling it would be overwhelmingly clichéd, but I could not have been more mistaken. Bursting with passion, and heartache, and an ode to love and friendship, this is a heartwarming read from start to finish. If you are a fan of anything, then this is the book for you.

FAVOURITE NEW AUTHOR?

Matt Haig. Reasons to Stay Alive now has a very special place in my heart, after coaching me through a very difficult period of my life in February. I could not be more thankful to Matt for his wonderful words and anecdotes, and I can’t wait to read Notes on a Nervous Planet, and How to Stop Time.

NEWEST FICTIONAL CRUSH?

I am currently reading Six of Crows, and am desperately in love with Kaz Brekker.

OH, and Lizzie (talented friend, and writer, at Just Ink and Paper), is releasing her novel, Eleri’s Kingdom, chapter by chapter on her blog, and I have fallen in love with Griffin Stormwhite, despite him appearing in only the final paragraphs of the first chapter.

I have a funny feeling (she said sarcastically), that I might be drawn toward enigmatic, secretive, not-to-be-trusted boys, with dark, unruly hair.

FAVOURITE NEW CHARACTER

Aidan Green – fantasy author, and wooer of nerds. I rave about him in my full review of Unconventional that you can find here, but he is a DREAM. I would place him in new crush, but he is the literary love of my life, and I feel crush doesn’t do him justice. He is intelligent, funny, caring, and did I mention dreamy? If you like a character you can lose yourself in, Aidan is the one for you.

A BOOK THAT MADE YOU CRY?

She Must Be Mad – a beautiful collection of poetry, by the ever wonderful Charly Cox. Charly writes of womanhood and mental illness in a way that floods me with empowerment and love. I can’t help but cry when I feel so understood, and respected. If you are a woman, a millennial, a sufferer of mental illness, or a human in the 21st century, this is a must read.

A BOOK THAT MADE YOU HAPPY?

Theatrical by Maggie Harcourt. You can find a full review here, but it was such a joy to read – full of passion, laughter and warmth.

FAVOURITE REVIEW THAT YOU’VE WRITTEN?

A review of Alexandra Christo’s To Kill a Kingdom – it was a wonderful read, that I wanted to rave about to anyone that would listen. It’s easy to tell by my review that I absolutely devoured, and adored this novel (it’s probably my favourite read of the summer). If you like a fantasy, laden with trickery, mutinous pirates, and characters that you will fall madly in love with, then To Kill a Kingdom is the one for you.

MOST BEAUTIFUL BOOK YOU’VE BOUGHT?

Either The Cruel Prince or Notes on a Nervous Planet – I’m not usually a sucker for a hardback, but these are irresistible.

WHAT BOOKS DO YOU NEED TO READ BY THE END OF THE YEAR?

What do I NOT need to read by the end of the year? My university reading list is laden with novels (contemporary and classic alike) that I will talk about in a later post, but there is also a lot of YA that I really want to sink my teeth into. Like all book bloggers, I think I will spend the rest of 2018 trapped underneath my TBR.

This post would not have been possible without Goodreads (not sponsored, I’m just very grateful for the little section of the internet that helps me keep track of my reading). You can add me as a friend if you’d like to keep up to date with what I’m reading.

I hope you enjoyed my answers, and I tag any other bloggers that want to share all that they’ve been reading this year!

As always, thank you for reading!

August 7, 2018 / 12:41 pm

Haha, sorry! I feel I’m just forever adding to people’s TBRs. 😂

1. August 7, 2018 / 12:50 pm

Thank you so much for the mention! I loved this post – I’m a massive Patrick Ness fan, and it’s great to see other people raving about him too. I so NEED to get my hands on Notes on A Nervous Planet as well, it’s so pretty

Steph – http://www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

August 7, 2018 / 3:28 pm

You’re welcome! I only recently started reading his work, and am totally obsessed. Isn’t it? I’ve read little bits here and there, and the content is just as beautiful as the cover. 😊

2. August 7, 2018 / 1:55 pm

I really want to read some of Patrick Ness and Matt Haig’s books! My TBR is too long!

August 7, 2018 / 3:28 pm

Believe me, I know the feeling! 😂

3. August 7, 2018 / 1:57 pm

Ok, I’m finally adding The Cruel Prince to my TBR list!
    Thanks for sharing 🙂

August 7, 2018 / 3:29 pm

Yay! I can’t stress how much I want others to read this book. IT’S SO GOOD! 💛

4. August 7, 2018 / 8:21 pm

Absolutely love this post, as usual, you’ll have to stop though as my to be read pile is growing and growing every time you post! Loved it, thank you!

August 7, 2018 / 9:36 pm

I will never stop! I’m on a permanent mission to make everyone’s TBR as tall as mine so we can all suffer together! 😂

5. August 8, 2018 / 12:51 am

I’ll be reading Are We All Lemmings & Snowflakes this week for a blog tour and I’m so excited! It’s my first Holly Bourne book, but my friend has been recommending her books to me since forever!! 💙💙💙

August 8, 2018 / 9:35 am

That’s so exciting! I absolutely ADORE Holly! Her writing style is witty, empowering, and just wonderful to read. I can’t wait to read Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes? I hope we both enjoy it (but I’m sure we will)! 💛

6. August 8, 2018 / 9:37 am

I love the Taylor Swift gif at the end. So cute. I am organizing my bookshelf right now. Any tips from an expert?

August 8, 2018 / 9:48 am

I have a folder on my laptop dedicated to Taylor Swift gifs, and collecting them all is one of my most ridiculous (and favourite) hobbies. I currently have mine in alphabetical order (by author’s second name), which is great if you need to find something quickly – which I often do for photos, quotes, blurbs, etc. But I am OBSESSED with colour coordinated bookshelves – if you look through Pinterest or Bookstagram, there are SO many beautifully colour coordinated bookshelves, and I just adore them. But it could be a bit harder to navigate. 😂

7. August 8, 2018 / 9:45 am

This was such a great post! I definitely need to add some of these to my tbr list!x

August 8, 2018 / 9:49 am

Feel like I’m growing others’ TBR piles day by day! Not sure if I’m proud or sorry. 😂

8. August 8, 2018 / 11:35 am

Some brilliant books here. A lot of these I’m going to have to check out at some point

August 8, 2018 / 5:32 pm

I hope you enjoy whatever you choose to read!

9. August 8, 2018 / 2:36 pm

Oh my TBR list just keeps on getting bigger and bigger. I recently read The Cruel Prince and loved it, cannot wait for the sequel! You need to read Children of Blood and Bone asap! Definitely going to be one of my top reads of this year! I need to read some more Patrick Ness, I’ve heard that series is beautiful. Great post! x

Evie x | https://eviejayne.co.uk

August 8, 2018 / 5:33 pm

Believe me, I know the feeling! ME TOO! I know I do. I really do. And I need to do it soon, because I know that the minute fourth year starts I won’t have any time. It really is a beautiful series! Would definitely recommend reading it whenever you have time. Thank you! 💛

10. August 8, 2018 / 4:00 pm

I’m happy I’ve found this post because I’ve been looking for some new books to read and there are a couple on here that I feel I could become invested in!

Abigail-xo

August 8, 2018 / 5:34 pm

I’m so glad! Always hoping people take something away from my posts. 😊

11. August 8, 2018 / 4:20 pm

Brilliant post Emily, I really enjoyed reading this. I’ve recently got into reading more than I used to and it’s interesting to know other people’s point of views x

August 8, 2018 / 5:34 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed it! 😊

12. August 8, 2018 / 7:28 pm

I like everyone else, just added to my TBR list. I’m quite happy with that. Thank you 🙂

August 8, 2018 / 11:00 pm

Yay! I’m glad! I hope you enjoy whatever you choose to read! 💛

13. August 9, 2018 / 4:12 am

I looked up “Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?” and it’s safe to say I’m pretty intrigued!! So many of these other books also sound amazing, I’ve saved this post so I can come back to it when I hit the bookstore x

August 9, 2018 / 10:13 am

Thank you! Holly is wonderful! Would definitely recommend any of her work. Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes? comes out today and I’m so excited to read it! Yay! Hope you enjoy whatever you pick up. 😊